Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a thing.... fancy sharing your best / favourite roads with others? Just a daft idea so folks in your area can try them out :)

I'll start....

From Newcastle, take the A696 to Ponteland, ride thought the village to Belsay. Stop at the old Post Office for a coffee and chat to other bikers on a ride out. Continue on the A696 to Otterburn, by now you're well in to rural Northumberland, enjoy the road and small villages. Continue out of Otterburn, you join the A68 (but you wont know it), now you're in for a treat. Ride the A68 to the Scottish Border at Carter Bar. Pull into the view-point lay-by for coffee and bacon buns. You're pretty high-up now and you descend into Jedburgh via great twisties. If you didnt stop at Carter Bar, you can grab drinks and food here. Fuel and a loo-stop at the Shell garage. Ride the A68 until you ride through Newton St.Boswells, thereafter take a left hander at the roundabout to Galashiels. Pick-up the road marked for Edinburgh - the magnificent A7.

Ride the A7 to the Edinburgh ring-road (great countryside and a great road) if time / cash allows, stop at Dalhousie Castle (before ring road) for refreshments and to see the superb falconry. Nice place, very easily missed. In Bonnyrigg, take a left at the lights, you'll see the castle when you clear the trees. If you're with your missus go for afternoon tea! Yum. (sorry but afternoon cream tea with blokes isn't acceptable!)

Ride to the top of the A7, at the ring road, take a right one junction, come off at the A68 to Jedburgh. You'll take in good roads and villages back to Jedburgh but via the A68 not the A7 you've just ridden. From Jedburgh, you can either cut across to the mighty Kielder Forest (great roads here but adds a lot of time, might want to save this for another day and another post from me!). Ride back to Ponteland and back to the city. Lots of fuel stops, not many speed cameras, lots of villages for refreshments and some of the best roads in Northumberland.

It will take about 4 hours with 1 or 2 stops, slow down and really soak it up and it's most of the day.

If you havent done this route, there are many points of interest, historical importance and magnificent views - take your camera. If you want to real experience to remember start this at 8pm on a summers night - amazing !

Enjoy :) Happy Xmas everyone !

Going down from Cater Bar. Drum brakes not recommended lol !!!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Best bikng roads are always the ones from where ever you are to home i think after a few weeks on the the bike covering thousands of miles always good to see your own bed

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
malin head in county Donegal ( top of Ireland ) to mizen head ( bottom of Ireland) takes about 12 hours even on an old girl that likes to cruise at 55mph with short breaks petrol coffee food smoke a ciggie fast and gone agin . better on your own no one to slow you down and you cant loose your self your allways on the right road even if its the wrong road . or any where else once its not a motorway .

I used to stick to spins where I knew the road but these days I like to discover new roads sometimes I just turn off left or right at random and do the next few rights or lefts at random I have found some lovely roads narrow country one track lanes ideal on the transalp its good fun getting lost and having to pull out the detailed map for a look . sometimes if I see a brown sign for old ruins I go and check them out I like all that standing stone type stuff and old abbeys and castles I know sweet **** all about them only that are some seriously cool old chit .

these days more so than before I just head off in a general direction and see where the wind blows me twice the fun . this time of year with the days so short I don't go so far but the height of summer I like to head off real early like 10am or so theres a good long days rideing and even if it runs into the early hours of the morning its still not too cold :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts