Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not a pushbike, that's obvious!!

I am trying to wangle a trip before hay harvest sets in and have been looking at a couple of places I would like to go and see "oop North". While doing me planning, I started to wonder a bit about Youth Hostels when touring. I like camping, and I like the whole experience I get when travelling by bike and then setting camp at the end of the day, but when the weather is Sh**ty....

So, has anyone had some experience of YHA and the reception you get if you roll up on a bike these days? I know they (are supposed to) have moved on from demanding you arrive on foot or bicycle, but what could I expect? How does the food end of the deal go?? I have NO experience of the YHA, as you can tell!

Second query on the same vein, how realistic is it to use a YH instead of B&B for a slightly fussy passenger....? :)

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
BOOK where you want to go and ask for a family room they cost about £18 PN for BB. They are no RITZ but all facilities are clean and dry. Look on the Internet for YHA centres.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
BOOK where you want to go and ask for a family room they cost about £18 PN for BB. They are no RITZ but all facilities are clean and dry. Look on the Internet for YHA centres.
Cheers J. Sounds pretty good value to me, how do you guys do your catering in a YH?

I have had a look at some YH and noted that a few have family or double rooms, around £40/night. I think i will be coughing up for a years subs....

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had no problems with the Scottish Youth Hostels we stayed in. In fact most people at the two hostels we frequented had arrived by car.
Sign of the times I guess ;) Looked at the SYHA website and there are LOTS of nice looking locations around. The idea of having a fall back if the weather is crap, is a big plus. Past experience is that a few nights B&B can hammer a hole in a modest budget....

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Sign of the times I guess ;) Looked at the SYHA website and there are LOTS of nice looking locations around. The idea of having a fall back if the weather is crap, is a big plus. Past experience is that a few nights B&B can hammer a hole in a modest budget....
The SYHA hostel on the Kyle of Tongue is in a truly magnificent location, if a little out of the village.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The SYHA hostel on the Kyle of Tongue is in a truly magnificent location, if a little out of the village.
Saw that one, a seriously nice location.

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
I've been a member all my life (I'm a life member, after all!) and still use them fairly regularly, stretching the definition of "youth".

Most people turn up in a car and most people seem to be, ahem, also not youths.

I never bother booking a whole room to myself. You usually end up sharing with just one or two people and they're almost always friendly.

I also usually eat the food provided. It's good value for money, especially the breakfasts. You can self-cater, of course.

You don't even have to do chores nowadays.

·
Registered
585 Posts
So just how popular are youth hostels with youth? I've never stopped in one myself but know of them due to my age. The thing is that I cannot see the concept appealing to youth other than truly adventurous sort. Most youngsters want Ibiza or the Costas etc. Boring old place in the middle of nowhere, no nightlife, no booze = no fun, not my opinion but probably many a youngster. So therefore if the older clientel didn't frequent maybe they would have to close. Lodge rooms can be had for a little as £19.00 per room so it cannot be a cost thing that attracts. I think it's probably something you grew up with. Having said all that, long may they continue for those who enjoy them.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dunno why, but the idea of you lot being allowed in a YOUTH hostel, cracks me up, sorry.:teeth:
Barstaaaad!!!! One day, you too will be old, yep, even older than me!!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been a member all my life (I'm a life member, after all!) and still use them fairly regularly, stretching the definition of "youth".

Most people turn up in a car and most people seem to be, ahem, also not youths.

I never bother booking a whole room to myself. You usually end up sharing with just one or two people and they're almost always friendly.

I also usually eat the food provided. It's good value for money, especially the breakfasts. You can self-cater, of course.

You don't even have to do chores nowadays.
Sounds better by the minute! The Scottish YHA is a cheaper sub than the English/Wales lot too :)

I thought that I may float the idea to Janice on the premise that we can have a room. For myself, I can cope with most things as long as the bed is clean. If it isn't, I have a bag!

Of course for a whippersnapper like you, a Life Membership makes sense....

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So just how popular are youth hostels with youth? I've never stopped in one myself but know of them due to my age. The thing is that I cannot see the concept appealing to youth other than truly adventurous sort. Most youngsters want Ibiza or the Costas etc. Boring old place in the middle of nowhere, no nightlife, no booze = no fun, not my opinion but probably many a youngster. So therefore if the older clientel didn't frequent maybe they would have to close. Lodge rooms can be had for a little as £19.00 per room so it cannot be a cost thing that attracts. I think it's probably something you grew up with. Having said all that, long may they continue for those who enjoy them.
I suspect that you are right. YH had no appeal to me when I was "young" but that was largely because I did not travel very much cos of work. I have asked my daughters who are of an age when backpacking and exploring should be large in their lives, and while both seem interested in the idea of low cost acommodation while travelling in the UK, this is not considered to be an important factor. Just not adventurous enough!!

Charlie, my son, has enjoyed camping trips with scouts and also with me, and would I suspect be more interested. I think that there is sadly, still a .... stigma, to teh YHA, silly really.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
I agree with everything Jacques said, though I rather miss doing the chores.

If you are on motorised transport, try to avoid small, accessible hostels in peak times.

In Scotland there are a number with cracking views (Broadford is pretty special, looking back across the water to Mallaig with the mountains behind) while Carbisdale Castle really is a castle. If you're hostelling in Scotland, you MUST go there.

In Wales try Dolgoch if you want to get away from it all (though not sure if the track is a BOAT) or Danywenallt if you want to put your feet up and be fed.

Pwll Deri's position is just spectacular. Bryn Gwynant and Snowdon Ranger are good accommodation near or at the foot of paths to the top of Snowdon. Pen-y-Pass is almost there though as a consequence it is often booked out.

In England, there's too much to choose from. Tintagel and Boscastle are worth a look, Salcombe is more ordinary inside than out, but what a location (and watch you don't drop the bike on the lane up there); Hindhead, Jordans, Blackboys and Tanners Hatch all defy their location in the South East; Carter Lane is in a fab position and is the only painted stucco building in London; the Peaks and Lakes have some fabulous large houses and some luxury (Patterdale is well spoken-of but I've never stayed there); in Gloucestershire, Duntisbourne Abbots is in lovely country (with a couple of good fords) and all the food comes from the garden or nearby fields (or used to); Saffron Walden in Essex is 600 years old; have a night in a chapel at Mankinholes, in a cheese factory at Litton Cheney, in a grand country home (several), a watermill at Clun, a Scientific Institute at Ironbridge, a hospital at Kington, a moated Norman castle at St Briavel's, a Roman fort at Birdoswald etc etc.

Get the picture?!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with everything Jacques said, though I rather miss doing the chores.
Well, on the basis of what the replies were to my original post and some serious web browsing, I have gone and signed up for a year with the SYHA. Quite a lot cheaper than the English YHA and to be honest, the web site was miles better! :) How shallow I am....

Now to try and see if I can get out and use the card!!

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
As it happens, I think the most reliable area for good hostels is where you live! From Newport to Chester they're mostly crackers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts