Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as everyone on this forum loves LWR and LWD so much i thought i'd do my own version!

My plan was to ride from My house in Manchester to meet a friend in Hebden Bridge, then ride to another friend's house in Haverfordwest and back up the welsh coast.

440 miles and two countries in two days!

:D

I left home at 11.30 on friday 16th Nov 2007, i had been planning this trip for weeks and had been packing for oooh about 15 mins so i felt prepared for anything!

I had been sponsored by me and so i had a '99 Carbadero fuelled up and ready to go complete with a non matching top box and aldi tankbag! It's important to have all of the right kit.

I rode over the moors above rochdale and down cragg vale into hebden to meet an old friend and have a spot of lunch!

after lunch i set of on the long leg of the day and stopped to take this photo looking back towards cragg vale.

I set off down to south wales, i decided to take the quick (but dull) M6 M5 M4 M42 route and was rewarded with a relatively clear run and this sunset

I stopped every 45 mins or so for a coffee and to warm up, god it was cold, and to make matters worse it started to rain! Being the organised hardcore adventure biking legend that i am i had forgotten to put my sleeping bag inside a waterproof bag but was saved by a very friendly young lady at a services BurgerKing who kindly sponsored my a Black bin bag!!

Waterproofed and warm i carried on past cardiff then swansea and onwards.

I began to get despondent as my warmth and energy ebbed, it's wierd how after a while you forget that you are supposed to be having fun and just want to be where you are headed for with a cup of something warm and a warm bed.

I started to realise how much i enjoy company on a long trip especially when its a bit crappy and found that as i began to feel worse i just wanted Michelle (my better half) on the other end of the intercom chattering away or singing in my ear and giving me a pillion hug every now and again!

Thankfully i didn't get lost (i was using the latest Z-nav - which for those of you not in the know is a map and bits of paper with directions stuffed into the map pocket of the tank bag) and got to my friend John's house at about 22.00!

the very welcome cup of coffee and warm bed did wonders for my spirits as did the morning wake up lick from binka the dog in the morning!

I left Haverfordwest at 08.30 with this sunrise to warm me and put behind the drudgery and cold of the motorway slog the night before!!

I headed northish to Fishguard and then into the lower part of town where i found the harbour and woke up the local seagulls with the roar of the exhausts echoing off the cliffs like some harbour defence cannon, was worth it for the view tho!

From Fishguard the Z-nav steered me up the A487 towards Cardigan but i couldn't resist stopping whenever i spotted something that looked worth exploring!

From Cardigan i kept with the A487 all the way to Aberystwyth, i stopped briefly in Aberaeron to take a cup of coffee from the thermos and a nice picture of the bike!

At Aberystwyth i gave in and finally stopped for fuel! I dunno who says Carbaderos don't do well on fuel - 230 miles from a tank and the light still hadn't come on!

Bike fed i cracked on and as i headed into Snowdonia on my way to Dolgellau. It is a Truly wonderful part of the world and was a marked change from the Southern Welsh scenery.

As the Hills grew around me i was torn between enjoying the handling of the bike on the twisties or simply cruising and drinking in what i believe are some of the most devastatingly beautiful hills inthe world!

This shot looks back down to the Tal-y-Llyn Lake

Yorkshire is Gods own County but Wales is where he goes on holiday!

From Dolgellau i headed towards Bala again cruising and savouring the view whilst trying to also enjoy the twisties!

In the end i had to stop and just look at the views and then carry on!

At Bala Lake i stopped for another coffee and gawp at the scenery!

From Bala to Chester then onto the M56 and Home!

Not exactly an epic journey to the far reaches of human endurance . . . but it tested me a times, gave me time to think and was a good test for the bike!

It didn't miss a beat and despite a few moments on cow crap smeared roads, tightening corners and full on sidewinds neither did I!!

was great and can't wait to do it again!

next time with a pillion - Michelle has already said yes so off we go as soon as we can find time . ..

Z:D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
How many times did you have to re-weld the frame? And what about replacing the rear shock? Oh, sorry, I've just realised you were riding a Honda not a BMW :tongue3: :banghead:

er...

and only riding for two days on tarmac

:violent1:

·
Large Member
36 Posts
Well done that chap but i'm very concerned !!! surely for a trip of this magnetude you should have had a back up crew of at least 2 4WD trucks containing 3 cameramen, 2 medics a security consultant and surely you had a local FIXER to get you over the welsh border;)

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
stopped a lot of times for coffee's,never mentioned having a pee,you must have a bladder the size of a varadero tank you hero you.

great pics
great report
long way down great also.....................................no need for sleeping pills anymore

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
nice pics and story.. but you did not complain nearly enough to be LWD

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Yorkshire is God's own County but Wales is where he goes on holiday!
Cut short my visit to Wales this year so definitely up for a proper ride through next year. Perhaps I'll give myself time for a quick nip up Snowdon while I'm there too.
Loved the report.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think a man of Z's legendary standing must actually p1ss Unleaded! Probably has some funnel/pipe arrangement Duck taped to his gentleman for log distance trips like this...hence the legendary fuel consumption too! :D
'tis true - lots of strong coffee and i found that i was refuelling not only the mightly varadero but also all of the support vehicles (which weren't specifically referred to in the report but which were there!)

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
inspiring stuff Z im now looking into sponsorship for a similar event but i think i have to have two hillman imps as backup vehicles:cool::D:D:D:D

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
'tis true - lots of strong coffee and i found that i was refuelling not only the mightly varadero but also all of the support vehicles (which weren't specifically referred to in the report but which were there!)

Presumably they only met up with you at border crossings, refuels, lunch stops, camping, 5* hotels, presidential visits and whenever you had to cross a muddy stream or navigate a bit of dusty road...but for the rest of the time you were on your own? :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts