Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hi alba..

where did you get yours from?

was up early this morning as I had to Drive to Glasgow for a meeting, came back over the Cairn-o-Mount.. great evening clear & bright and roads dry and the colours are turning on the trees and the Rowan trees are full of bright red berrys and I was in the CAR.....:confused:

David Silver £20, easy replacement.

Ah the red berrys at this time of year along with the purple heather is a sight to be-hold....

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

Ah the red berrys at this time of year along with the purple heather is a sight to be-hold....

ahh just a bunch of old XRV romantics :D ypu will be getting a Harley next so you can go real slow in comfort and enjoy the scenery :rolleyes:

doh of course DS ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem with my 650. I found out the rubber ring above is worn, how can I get a new one?
Because the upper movement the metal gear can get stuck sometimes, and it caused the metal ring to bend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No, it's not the rubber ring, I have the same problem as you have, the metal shaft has free play which causes it to stuck? did you find a solution? do they sell only the shaft and the housing and not the complete device?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi there Ladder106!

If you are still checking this forum I have a problem I like to share with you.

I have a AT RD07 1993. The speedometer was not working when I got the bike some years back. When I checked the worm gear the nylon bush was in pieces and the aluminium/metal worm was broken up badly. Completely unusable. The cable upto the meter was missing too.

So I visited the breaker's yards and after much browsing through tons of greasy stuff, managed to find a complete unit from a Honda Jade 250 street bike. Its in very good condition and I cleaned the assembly thoroughly and installed it. Bought a cable too and now the worm gear functions beautifully with ONE PROBLEM!

The speedometer has started turning backwards! In otherwords my mileage is now turning backwards when I ride! The tripmeter works fine (obviously the pulse from the meter interface is ok even if it is reversed!) I do find that the trip meter mileage is far short of the actual mileage I run, when I compare the readings with my Garmin e-Trex 30 GPS unit.

Any, getting back to the issue of the reversing mileage, when the worm gear assembly is mounted on the wheel and functioning correctly the cable up to the meter on my bike is revolving in the OPPOSITE direction to what it SHOULD turn, isn't it? Which means that the metal worm and the nylon gear ring grooves are designed to turn in the opposite direction? I am perplexed as to how this can happen! Surely Honda would have all of it's speedo worm gear unit revolving in one direction...

Am I missing something here completely?

Any thought on this from you?

Much obliged to you Sir, in advance, for any heads-up you can provide.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Useful thread, thanks.
Just drilled and cleaned out the worn drive on my 87 600
I've packed it out with a fibre washer to remove the play as it was jamming.
Still has a (very) slight tight spot but working ok so far.
I figured if I didn't try I needed a new one, if this doesn't last I'll need a new one, so nowt to loose really.
:thumbright:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts